Saturday, July 12, 2008

7/11/08

This morning I was scheduled to see my oncologist and then have my second round of chemo. Jeff and I dropped the kids off at my parents' house and then went in to the office. Dr. Pinkerton did a breast exam to check the tumor size and said the chemo is working really well. It has gone from a very prominent mass to one that is not so easy to palpate. What wonderful news!


Bad news was my ALT (liver function results) came back three times higher than what it is suppose to be, so my chemo was postponed till next week. They said the one chemo I am taking affects this, so they are hoping it comes down on its own. I just have to drink a bunch of water this week.


So we left from there and headed to get my head shaved at the salon where I bought my wig. I couldn't take the large clumps of hair coming out all day long anymore, let alone the painful scalp, and the fact that my scalp was already showing through my very thin, scant amount of hair I had been left with. The one owner of the salon (Evolutions) has battled breast cancer before, so she knew exactly what I am going through and actually got teary as I sat there crying. She took me in a back room and buzzed it as close to the scalp as she could get it. She couldn't shave it all the way to the scalp with a razor blade, due to the risk of infection, but she said what I need to do is use a lint brush on the stubble to take it off. As fast as I am losing my hair it shouldn't be long before I have a smooth head. Oh and she also ended up not charging me a single penny in the end. She was so sweet. So now I am basically bald and trying to get use to it. I love that I don't have to deal with the hair clumps anymore though, so I'm glad I did it. It was hard, but well worth it. Now I just have to get a little sun on this snow white scalp of mine! LOL!

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment