Wednesday, May 13, 2009

5/13/09

I had my final boost on May 6th and I am done with radiation!!!!!!!! I was able to complete 28 treatments and 3 boosts. The doctor had originally wanted me to have 6 boosts, but my skin is too sore and he doesn't want it to get worse. Right now it is cracking, peeling, and sometimes bleeding, so I'm glad I can concentrate on healing now.


May 6th, I went for genetic counseling and testing. They drew blood and will be checking for the BRCA 1 and 2 gene mutations. These are the genes that make you more susceptible to developing breast cancer and other types of cancer. Carriers have a 56-87% chance of developing breast cancer and a 27%-44% chance of developing ovarian cancer, whereas in the general population it is only 7% for breast cancer and less than 2% for ovarian cancer. Pretty scary statistics, huh? Knowledge is power.


If they find I have this mutation then my family can then decide if they want to be tested. Finding out they are carriers will give them the opportunity to have increased surveillance, chemoprevention, or preventive surgery. Plus it will then help me decide whether or not I want to have my ovaries removed for preventitive measures.


The results will take 3-4 weeks to come back and then they will call to schedule an appointment to have me come in for the results. I'm hoping I get negative results.


On May 29th-30th, I will be doing Relay for Life at Indiana White Township Municipal Park. It is a 24 hour event starting at 6 pm on the 29th. If you are able to participate at any time during that 24 hours (you don't have to stay the whole time) you can join my team by going to my personal page....


http://main.acsevents.org/goto/bethgibbons


....and clicking 'join my team'. You can also donate there if you are unable to attend the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment