Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gynecologist appointment

Today I went in for my pap smear. Hard to believe it has already been 6 months. My doctor told me he wasn't able to get the brush into my cervix, due to the scar tissue. That is not good. If he can't get in there, we can't monitor if the cancer cells came back or not. He stressed to me, more than once this visit, that this is serious and nothing to mess around with. I told him that I understand that, but I want to keep the hysterectomy as a last resort. He understood since it is a major surgery and every surgery has its risks and complications, as I am well aware. He said I could go into the OR, have a D&C (Dilation and curettage is done by passing a small instrument called a curette through the vagina into the uterus and scraping the endometrium.) and he can try to dilate my cervix. The problem is there is no guarantee it will stay that way. If that is the case I really need to have a hysterectomy. My doctor will call me after he gets the results of my pap back and we will go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment