Friday, January 16, 2009

1/15/09

Today I went to see my surgeon again and he said everything is looking good. No fluid had accumulated behind the incisions, which is good. He told me to stay wrapped another week and then after that I am free to take it off.


He had finally gotten my pathology report back from surgery. It showed.... NO CANCER PRESENT IN LYMPH NODES OR BREASTS!!!!! YAY! The chemo had done it's job! I guess what we were seeing on the mammogram film was either scar tissue or dead cells.


Now I know some of you are probably wondering why I had to have the mastectomy if there was no cancer left, so I will try to explain. My doctor said that even if the pathology shows no cancer, there are always some stray cancer cells left behind that if given the chance will start growing again. If I hadn't had the surgery he feels 100% sure the cancer would've come back. In other words, I had to do it.


I will see him again in two weeks and at that time we will probably be scheduling surgery to have another port put in. Then it will be time to start chemo again. I have to keep telling myself everything is to make sure this is the one and only time I ever have to deal with cancer, because I'm so ready to be done with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment