Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Genetic testing results!

The results are in.........BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!

What this means to me:

*If I do not have this mutation, it is impossible for me to have passed it on to either one of my children!

*My chances of having hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome (HBOC) have been significantly reduced, but not completely ruled out.

*I will be keeping my ovaries.

What this means for my family:

*They are still at higher risk, due to family history (me and a cousin).

*My sisters should do self breast exams every month, yearly breast exams by a physician, and have mammograms starting at age 30.

*The possibility remains that my cancer could've been caused by another hereditary syndrome, environmental factors, or a mutation in BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 that current technology cannot detect.

No comments:

Post a Comment