Saturday, April 17, 2010

Garage sale weekend #2

Yesterday and Today was "Take Two" of our grand ole garage sale. I have to say we rock at it. Everyone is so impressed by the amount of stuff we have, how organized we have everything, and how good our prices are. Yesterday we were slammed all day and today was steady, but slow, because it was freezing outside.

Here's how this weekend's sales turned out...

Erika: $15.55
Nicole's brother in law: $26.09
Gavin and Camille (they got all the money from their toys selling): $29.75
Aunt Jane: $54.10
Mom and Dad: $58.95
Me: $148.70
Nicole: $184.85
Jess: $199.47

This week's total was $717.46, making the grand total for both weekends......


Didn't I tell you we rock at this?! I am now $359.90 richer than I was 2 weeks ago and I managed to unload a TON of clothes, toys, and other random things.

I have to say though, my favorite part of the garage sale business was the people I had the opportunity to speak with. I had a picture of me bald set up on the table where we had people pay, with a donation jar for my Relay for Life team and bracelets that we had made (to help get donations) beside it. People would then ask if that was someone we knew, so I had the opportunity to talk with them about my experience. I managed to raise $70.10, raise awareness, and meet some women, who really left an impression on me. I will tell you about 2 of them.

Person #1- She was a girl, my age, who started to cry when she found out I was the one in the picture who had breast cancer. She told me that she had lost a 38 year old friend to breast cancer. I guess she had been told she was cancer free and then started to not feel well, only to find out that her body was full of tumors. She died within a few days of finding out, leaving her friend with so many questions. It makes me sick, because I know it happens more than people think.

Anyway, this garage sale girl went on to tell me that she believes that things happen for a reason. Years ago she had been run over by a tow truck. It broke her spine, pelvis, her scalp was ripped open, her ear had to be sewn back on, and much more. She spent 3 months in the hospital. I was amazed by how wonderful she looked. I didn't even notice her scars until she pointed them out. I really wish Erika had been there to meet her. I think it would've given her hope to talk with this girl and see how unnoticeable her scars were.

Before she left, she asked me, with tears in her eyes, if she could hug me (which of course I did) and then she told me she would be praying for me. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to talk with her. She was such a sweet soul.

Person #2-
There was a woman who had been diagnosed with cancer 3 times. The first time was breast cancer and she was 12 YEARS OLD! She said she remembers being excited, thinking that she was getting boobs, only to find out it was cancer. She had also been diagnosed with stomach and liver cancer. All 3 times she refused chemo. She said that after the doctor would give her the diagnosis, she would go for a walk and pray "God, if you want me, here I am." She doesn't agree with chemo and also admits she is stubborn. I wish her all the best.

So that pretty much sums up my garage sale experience. A lot of work, good money, a nice way to clean house, and lots of wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment