Sunday, October 19, 2008

10/19/08

Sorry, it has been so long since I've posted an update. Things are going pretty good. I have had 6 chemo treatments so far and I have 2 more to go before my surgery. The treatments are nasty, but I'm getting through it.


I just saw my surgeon last week and it looks like January will be the month for my mastectomy. I've been thinking about this surgery for quite some time and the more I think about it, the more I think I am going to have both breasts removed. The surgeon said the insurance should cover the removal of the non cancerous breast and he is willing to do both at the same time if that is what I choose. I just really want to reduce my risk of dealing with cancer again in the future. Plus, I want my boobs to match when this is all said and done, so I might as well have them both reconstructed instead of just one. Also, the thought of walking around with one for 10 or so months before I can have reconstruction just doesn't appeal to me either! I think I would rather be flat than have a uni-boob, but that is just me. :)


Oh, I have to tell you all about my wonderful surprise. A couple weeks ago a couple friends came to my house and presented me with $1500 to help with my medical expenses!!! They had been making and selling bracelets for three weeks without me knowing to raise the money. They actually are still selling them. I truly have been blessed with amazing people who support me.


Yesterday I was honored at an event called 4 on 4 for a cure. This was the 3rd annual and it was hosted by two Marion Center seniors. It is a basketball tournament where they raise money for the IRMC Women's Imaging Center (where I was diagnosed). This year they honored 4 of us survivors. It was very emotional for me to get up in front of everyone while they read my story and presented me with flowers. Needless to say I was crying. The Indiana Gazette was there as well as WJAC-TV. I was actually interviewed. I'm sure I sounded like a moron, because I was in no way prepared for that, but oh well! I posted some of the pictures that I've gotten so far and as I get more I will post them too. My friends had a table there to sell the bracelets. It looked so nice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next weekend is the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Hollidaysburg. I'm so excited to announce that my team, Beth's Believers has already raised over $1000 for the American Cancer Society!!!!! YAY! Thank you to everyone who has donated. You can expect to see pics from that event soon. Well, I think that is about it for now. I will update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment