Saturday, April 16, 2011

Survivors are EVERYWHERE!

This weekend was our giant family garage sale. I didn't do as good as last year, but I still did okay. The weather was beautiful on Friday. I even managed to get a crazy sunburn on my face. Today was HORRIBLE! It was pouring most of the time, super cold, and the wind gusts up to 60 mph!! Here's a couple pics from my backyard and on my road to give you an idea...














Thankfully the tree fell this direction, because the other way would've taken out the back of the house!













This is a couple houses down from my house. I had to drive under this tree and hope it didn't fall on me, to get home!! EEK!!!

























Anyway, every year I put out my jar for relay donations, along with a pic of me bald that says "You are not too young for breast cancer...I was diagnosed at 29 years old!" It always catches people's attention and helps me spread awareness, but it also allows me to meet some of the most amazing people. Friday I met a woman who had ovarian cancer. Her tumor was the size of an infant's head when it was removed and that was 20 some years ago!!!! She was encouraging me to get the hysterectomy and Oophorectomy my doctors keep badgering me about. I told her I would think about it.

Today I met another breast cancer survivor, who was six years out from diagnosis. She said she rarely thinks about the beast now and is doing wonderfully. I cannot wait until I am at that point. Maybe once I get done with the reconstruction process I can move on a little better, I don't know.

So the garage sale was a lot of work, a huge pain in the arse, but I got rid of some crap, made a little money, and got some donations. I'll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment